Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Issue No. 20: June 2007














Postcards from America...
Quarterly Newsletter from Tom Judd
Issue No. 20 : June 2007


Driveway Basketball

On one of those early spring nights, the kind we used to stay out playing driveway basketball until it got too dark to see the ball, Astrid Sofia Judd was born on March 23rd. She was 5 lbs. 11 oz. and 19 inches long. Beautiful Astrid is now 3 months old. She is long, thin and mesmerizing. You really can’t take your eyes off her. She smiles and you know you have been smiled at.

Kiki is doing great, looking like she was never pregnant. It’s the Yoga!


The New World

I had my first solo exhibition with Projects Gallery in Philadelphia, which opened on April 6th. It has been 8 years since my last show in this fair city. The show included a 16’ painting “The New World” that we named the show after. Helen Hyder and her crew did a fantastic job of hanging the show. Projects gallery has also been featuring my work at the art fairs in Miami, New York, and Chicago.


New Beginnings in New York

The Brenda Taylor Gallery is now representing me in New York City. I’m thrilled to be working with Brenda Taylor and Lucas Natali, her director. Located in the heart of the Chelsea Gallery district Brenda Taylor gallery has been around since 1991. I love the work she is showing, including the famous abstract painter Connie Fox. I will keep you posted on date for first exhibit with BT!


The Chalkboard Chronicles Revisited

I am planning on doing a ten year anniversary in NYC of the “Chalkboard Chronicles.” In 1997 I put 3 chalkboards up in the window of TZ Art gallery at Grant and Mercer in Soho. I invited fourteen artists to participate in this extraordinary happening.

The artist included: Spalding Gray, Christopher Brooks, Carol Diehl, Richard Hull, David Humphrey, Phil Johnson, Drew Beattie and Daniel Davidson, Ilona Granet, Gary Komerin, Walter Martin and Paloma Muñoz, Elliott Puckette and Ray Smith.

The whole event was video taped, including interviews with all the artists before, during and after they had completed their chalkboards. The video was never edited down into a completed piece. As part of the anniversay we are going to raise money to have the original footage edited and turned into a finished production. Stay tuned for more details on this project.


Going South

I will be having my first solo exhibition with Mason Murer Fine Art in Atlanta opening on September 14th.


Flash from the Past

I’m excited to have crossed paths again with Peter Marcelle of Peter Marcelle Contemporary in the Hamptons. Peter and I worked together at Coe Kerr Gallery in the early 80’s. It was my first gallery in New York, and it was his first gallery job. He was the only one in the gallery who seemed to be able to sell my work at the time and has remained enthusiastic about it. We are talking about having a show at his gallery next summer. Bring your sun block.


(This newsletter is sent by request only. Please put “remove” in subject line to be taken off the mailing list).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home